Written by Mufti Abdul Wahab
16th March 2020
THE WIDESPREAD OF CORONAVIRUS
COVID-19 (coronavirus) has been declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organisation and it has shaken the world in the span of a little over two months.
During global crises like this, we begin to understand why our Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) emphasised the importance of keeping clean.
But it’s not just our exterior that we must take care to keep clean, it’s our interior state of mind as well. During such situations, resorting to panic isn’t the way to go.
Here are 5 top tips to look after yourself during this crisis:
– Wash your hands; try and use hand gels or wipes. If you need to cough, do it in a tissue and dispose of it.
2. Self isolate if necessary.
– If you are at risk, vulnerable or have been in contact with someone who is showing symptoms of the virus, self isolate.
3. Don’t panic!
– Panic is not the way to go, it’ll only add to the confusion. Don’t spread information that is unreliable or not verified.
– Also, panic-buying food isn’t helping the wider community. Buy what you need and leave some for others.
4. Help the community.
– Check up on those who might be vulnerable. Check up on friends and family to see if they’ve got everything they need.
5. Practice social distancing when necessary.
– This means going out only when required, such as purchasing groceries. Avoid mass public gatherings and meetings. This also means not shaking hands with other people.
Check on those around you during this time and help make things easier for the authorities and medical staff who are working around the clock for us. You can play your part by looking after yourself in all the necessary ways, to stop the spread of this pandemic.
Those who are merciful will be shown mercy by the Merciful. Be merciful to those on the earth and the One above the heavens will have mercy upon you.